Can you use CBD oil as lube?
You can find CBD in just about any personal care product these days. Deodorant, toothpaste and even tampons have had the CBD treatment, so it’s hardly a surprise that some people are wondering: can you use CBD oil as lube, too?
CBD and sex
In a survey by Remedy Review, 68% of people said that CBD had improved their sexual experiences in some way. Exactly how this happens is still being explored, but here are a few things we do know about CBD and sex…
- CBD improves nerve sensation. This might explain why lots of people report that CBD makes sex more pleasurable and orgasms more intense.
- CBD is proven to boost levels of a neurotransmitter called anandamide, also known as the “bliss molecule”. It works with a hormone called oxytocin to promote satisfaction, pleasure and bonding during sex.
- CBD reduces blood pressure, improves circulation, and promotes blood flow to the genitals. That means it could help you to achieve and maintain an erection.
- CBD is a known anti-inflammatory, which could be helpful if you suffer from a condition like vaginismus that makes sex painful.
There’s also evidence that cannabis extract activates the part of your brain that controls sexual arousal, but it’s worth keeping in mind that we don’t know if this is specifically because of CBD or another substance found in the plant.
Can you use CBD oil as lube?
Many people think that lube is only useful when you’re suffering from some kind of sexual difficulty, like tightness or a lack of natural lubrication. It absolute does help in those situations, but there are so many more great reasons to make lube a regular part of your sex life:
- It reduces friction and improves sensation.
- It’s available in lots of flavours with pleasure-enhancing effects like warming or tingling.
- It can delay ejaculation to make sex last longer.
- It makes sex with condoms feel more “natural”.
- It reduces the chance of condom breakage or slippage for safer sex.
There are no limits to its uses, either! You can use it on any part of the body, for any type of sexual activity, on your own or with partners of any gender.
So, if CBD oil is good for sex, and lube is good for sex, then using CBD oil as lube must be amazing, right?!
Well, not exactly! As well as a carrier oil, like olive oil or MCT oil, CBD oil often has a few extra ingredients. These can include things like flavourings, herbal extracts, essential oils, botanicals, or preservatives. With that in mind, using CBD oil as a lube has a few major drawbacks:
- Oil-based lubricants can degrade latex or polyisoprene condoms, increasing the risk of STIs or unwanted pregnancy.
- Some oil- or silicone-based lubricants can also damage sex toys, quite literally killing your buzz!
- Certain oils and additives can irritate the sensitive skin around the genitals, anus and nipples.
- Some can also disrupt the natural pH of the vagina, causing itching, burning, and infections like thrush and bacterial vaginosis.
Those are some pretty convincing reasons not to use CBD oil as lube, but there is a much better alternative…
What to try instead
Instead of using CBD oil as a lube, look for an actual lube that contains CBD. The difference might seem minor, but it means you’re using a product that has been designed for the sole purpose of providing safe, effective lubrication for sex, with CBD as an added bonus.
Fans of CBD lube claim that it boosts arousal, makes sex more pleasurable, and eases discomfort associated with muscle spasms or inflammation. Many say that it also eases anxiety around sex, helping them to relax and let go. In other words, it gives you all the reported benefits of CBD and lube without compromising your sexual health or enjoyment – the best of all worlds!
How do you use CBD lube?
You can use CBD lube in all the same ways you’d use a regular lube, but we’ll leave the specifics up to your imagination! However, we will say that as a topical product, CBD lube takes about 20-30 minutes to take effect. Obviously it’s not really practical to lube up in advance, so consider making it part of your foreplay and taking your time with it to get the best out of your CBD lube.
Which CBD lube should I use?
There are lots of CBD lubes on the market, but you should keep the following in mind when you’re choosing the best lube for you.
If you’re using latex or polyisoprene condoms, look for a water-based CBD lube.
If you prefer an oil-based CBD lube, choose polyurethane condoms instead.
Avoid silicone-based CBD lubes if you have sensitive skin, or if you’re using silicone sex toys.
For vaginal sex, avoid CBD lubes with glycerin as this ingredient is linked to thrush.
Finally, always choose a CBD lube with as few ingredients as possible and check the label for allergens and irritants, like artificial fragrances.